Cornerstone encourages families to start researching their options for kindergarten when a child is between 2.5 and 3 years old. Community partner Navigate STL Schools is a local nonprofit offering free one-on-one consultations to help families learn about the St. Louis school system and school options available to them.
Cornerstone hosts an annual Kindergarten Fair for enrolled families where parents and caregivers can meet one another as well as representatives from area schools to ask questions and gather information about available options for kindergarten and beyond.
Program Director Toni Jackson is available to connect with caregivers as they seek out the best elementary school for their enrolled children(s) needs. Cornerstone is happy for the opportunity to partner with families in helping our children access resources that will help them achieve future success.
Children who qualify as gifted and talented have additional options for kindergarten and elementary school which provide curricular acceleration and enrichment opportunities. Saint Louis Public Schools offers these programs at no cost for children of all economic backgrounds residing in St. Louis City. (If you live outside the city, you can learn about gifted programs in your area here.)
1. When your child turns 3.5 years old (the minimum testing age), call (314) 345-4548 to schedule a gifted test.
2. On the date of your child’s appointment for the test, you will bring your child to the Gifted and Talented office where a basic IQ test will be conducted electronically with an examiner. The IQ test takes about 20 minutes.
3. If the child scores in the 90th percentile or above on the IQ test, the child will be invited back to take an academic test.
4. If the child scores in the 90th percentile or above on the academic test and the IQ test, they will qualify for the gifted schools/programs through SLPS.
5. If the child does not score in the 90th percentile or above on both tests, then they can re-test one time per calendar year up to four times.
If your child is enrolled at Cornerstone and you would like to have them tested for giftedness, please inform Program Director Toni Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org.